UTAHRADIO.NET'S DISCUSSION FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UTAHRADIO.NET'S DISCUSSION FORUM

Utah Radio's Discussion Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inUtah Radio Talk Website

C C

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dolt

dolt

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2006-09-18

C C Empty
PostSubject: C C   C C Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2006 1:35 pm

Buy out and sell off.

press release
Back to top Go down
dolt

dolt

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi dolt, thought I would reply to the article you posted. Suspect

IF this goes through will it bring further changes and sell offs down the road? Investment groups have a history of increasing profit by selling off sections then what remains when the yield on initial investment is favorable.

With cbs radio first only concentrating on top twenty markets then, selling off less profitable stations (Joel Hollander); is this a trend that will be growing? Will local ownership increase as a side effect? I am biased toward thinking local is better.

All these questions and more... Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigBopper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-10-05

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2006 7:48 pm

Hey DOLT! Local is a good bias!

I have spoken with some of my radio friends who aren't in radio anymore... and from a Jocks point of view, we long to even go back to playing the music off of cd's and carts (or something of the equivelant). Automation = more time for the DJ and less focus! Except for me of course!

Too often now a DJ will spend half their show in the production booth finishing up their dubs while the computer stays on Auto and the callers don't have anyone answering the phone. Its not just the IPod or Satellite radio, or burning your own cds that has led to the decline of radio, it is the DJ's.

When I didn't work nights, I would listen to the radio a lot... I was amazed at how many times I would hear dead air because the DJ left the room and left it in manuel (since I worked with the systems I was able to identify exactly what they did wrong) and it was frustrating. Dead air = listeners changing the station and then you have to earn them back over the next half hour or the next week! Imagine all those people who work in a restraunts kitchen and rely on the music (or even commercials in the background)... when there is dead air, the channel is changed and sometimes doesn't get changed back for days!

I am passionate about this... can you tell?

As far as the corporates getting out of radio... well, the local independents won't get much of anywhere, corporates have dug a HOLE! Look at Star 96.7, ... the only real locally owned FM that has started up in the last few years. On another board there is concern that they are off the air... possibly because they can't pay the bills.

Believe me, radio still works, we just need passionate LOCAL people to kick the crap out of the stuff wallets of the corporations, ... but we all know that won't happen!

Back in the day, a long time ago, I worked at KENZ. We were live 24/7... I mean, you couldn't even take more than 2 minutes to go to the bathroom! You looked forward to U2's "Where the streets have no name" so you could releave yourself! Now, DJ's walk around with 10-15 minutes inbetween talk breaks, leave the studio, watch tv, surf the net, hook up with the few groupies left, whoknows! Back to KENZ, they are live for CHunga and Mister and they might have someone in there when they have remotes... but try calling Kari Bushman at night... try calling Biff Raff when he isn't doing a contest... its rediculous... and the corporations think the listeners don't notice the difference... BLAH! I think I have made my point.
Back to top Go down
dolt

dolt

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Even in print the passion shines through. It can be lackluster at times without the immediacy that was radio. Yep, give me passion and fun. Any format will benefit. Thanks Big Bopper!
Back to top Go down
stitch

stitch

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2006-10-04

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 7:39 pm

Dolt,

You make me laugh! Talkin' to yerself there, my good friend! Wink What would I do without ya!

Don't worry, I've babbled on about Flavor of Love on the other great radio board and scratch hmmmmmmm, I guess no one watched that. I talked about Seasons 1 and 2 too! Surprised

Bop! Give us some more insight.. I I love you your radio stories cyclops cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
dolt

dolt

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down
Christopher John

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-01-05

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 7:47 pm

BigBopper wrote:
Hey DOLT! Local is a good bias!

I have spoken with some of my radio friends who aren't in radio anymore... and from a Jocks point of view, we long to even go back to playing the music off of cd's and carts (or something of the equivelant). Automation = more time for the DJ and less focus! Except for me of course!

Too often now a DJ will spend half their show in the production booth finishing up their dubs while the computer stays on Auto and the callers don't have anyone answering the phone. Its not just the IPod or Satellite radio, or burning your own cds that has led to the decline of radio, it is the DJ's.

When I didn't work nights, I would listen to the radio a lot... I was amazed at how many times I would hear dead air because the DJ left the room and left it in manuel (since I worked with the systems I was able to identify exactly what they did wrong) and it was frustrating. Dead air = listeners changing the station and then you have to earn them back over the next half hour or the next week! Imagine all those people who work in a restraunts kitchen and rely on the music (or even commercials in the background)... when there is dead air, the channel is changed and sometimes doesn't get changed back for days!

I am passionate about this... can you tell?

As far as the corporates getting out of radio... well, the local independents won't get much of anywhere, corporates have dug a HOLE! Look at Star 96.7, ... the only real locally owned FM that has started up in the last few years. On another board there is concern that they are off the air... possibly because they can't pay the bills.

Believe me, radio still works, we just need passionate LOCAL people to kick the crap out of the stuff wallets of the corporations, ... but we all know that won't happen!

Back in the day, a long time ago, I worked at KENZ. We were live 24/7... I mean, you couldn't even take more than 2 minutes to go to the bathroom! You looked forward to U2's "Where the streets have no name" so you could releave yourself! Now, DJ's walk around with 10-15 minutes inbetween talk breaks, leave the studio, watch tv, surf the net, hook up with the few groupies left, whoknows! Back to KENZ, they are live for CHunga and Mister and they might have someone in there when they have remotes... but try calling Kari Bushman at night... try calling Biff Raff when he isn't doing a contest... its rediculous... and the corporations think the listeners don't notice the difference... BLAH! I think I have made my point.

Thats one reason I love working for KSOP is that KSOP FM (AM a different story) is always live, there is always a DJ or board op in the studio to answer the phones. Even our AM stations request line is always answered, most the time the FM jock is also tracked on the AM so that if we want too we can go throw on a request. do a contest, etc. Heck a majority of my night shift I run the computer In live assist. except when I play the commercials .. But yeah I like doing the live thing and running my own show and not letting the computer do it all.. anyways thats my two bits..
Back to top Go down
SamSpade

SamSpade

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2006-10-02

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 8:36 pm

Quote :
Thats one reason I love working for KSOP is that KSOP FM (AM a different story) is always live, there is always a DJ or board op in the studio to answer the phones. Even our AM stations request line is always answered, most the time the FM jock is also tracked on the AM so that if we want too we can go throw on a request. do a contest, etc. Heck a majority of my night shift I run the computer In live assist. except when I play the commercials .. But yeah I like doing the live thing and running my own show and not letting the computer do it all.. anyways thats my two bits..

I felt that came through on KSOP and is part of why I always preferred it. I suppose if the music was just *that* much hotter, it'd beat KUBL someday too. Smile

But, I prefer getting to hear more depth and less repeats, myself.

Also, I think that's great that y'all care enough to at least answer your AM fans calls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

C C Empty
PostSubject: Re: C C   C C Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

C C
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UTAHRADIO.NET'S DISCUSSION FORUM :: Radio Talk-
Jump to: