UTAHRADIO.NET'S DISCUSSION FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UTAHRADIO.NET'S DISCUSSION FORUM

Utah Radio's Discussion Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inUtah Radio Talk Website

Portland vs. Salt Lake City

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SamSpade

SamSpade

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2006-10-02

Portland vs. Salt Lake City Empty
PostSubject: Portland vs. Salt Lake City   Portland vs. Salt Lake City Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 11:05 pm

Okay, I have been living here for a while (PDX) and noticed some interesting things.

First off, an "alternative rock" station can vary widely from market to market! We have nothing quite like the former "Channel" 105.7 but 94-7 is sort of like a mellower version of X96.

Second, one of the oldest stations in Portland is great- kink fm 102. It's a "triple A" but sounds nothing like 'the End' but is also different from other "triple A" stations I've heard in other places (Boise, Denver, Seattle). It doesn't really play much of the core artists but will throw in random music from the Beatles mellow period or someone that was big in the 70s for example.

Finally, I really do believe that the fewer frequencies and "big 3" owners in this market have more variety than those in SLC, I'm sorry to say. "97-1 Charlie FM" is obviously 'Jack' but has more variety. The station also finally gave in and just moved a popular morning duo over from the afternoons on a sister station (Dr. Doug is one of them). There's two country stations (no classic country anywhere as far as I can find) and two kids stations (one is a shared time station between a high school and a college- it might be interesting if something like that could happen in Utah County). OPB is very similar to KUER, but I wish they broke in with more local content throughout "Morning Edition" and "All Things Considered" like KCPW does. The station has a half-hour local newsmagazine at 4:30 Monday through Thursday that reminds me of KUER's in-depth stories that are usually around legislature time or KCPW's coverage in general.

Well I guess that's a lot to digest. Anyone else have thoughts about the "same-ness" of SLC-Ogden-Provo radio?
Back to top Go down
CAwasinNJ

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Portland vs. Salt Lake City   Portland vs. Salt Lake City Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 1:47 am

SamSpade wrote:
Anyone else have thoughts about the "same-ness" of SLC-Ogden-Provo radio?

If you really want to have a laugh you can look at the Radio Info New York City board. Someone a week or so ago was saying how great Salt Lake's radio scene was because we have every format imaginable. I don't remember which thread it was in, so it would be a bit tough to find but the board is at http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?board=234.0
Back to top Go down
fibonacci

fibonacci

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Portland vs. Salt Lake City   Portland vs. Salt Lake City Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Back to top Go down
ROG

ROG

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Portland vs. Salt Lake City   Portland vs. Salt Lake City Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 6:41 pm

That's crazy. Portland is a cool town. I lived there for a couple years and really enjoyed KINK and NRK. KUFO is pretty aggro if you're looking for something like the old Channel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bigrog949
fibonacci

fibonacci

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Portland vs. Salt Lake City   Portland vs. Salt Lake City Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2007 2:34 pm

z100 ain't bad either. i mean for a clear channel station
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portland vs. Salt Lake City   Portland vs. Salt Lake City Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portland vs. Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 1